Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Dealing with Transition

So it has been a year of transitions.  And something I thought I would be good with is now proving to not be quite the case....

I was the coordinator of a major event here in town for 2 years.  The event happened 4 times during that period.  It took a lot of my time, a lot of coordination, a lot of effort.  And now it "belongs" to someone else.  Next week, the event is taking place.  I've been watching for the signs (literally and figuratively) around town, seen things here and there, thought about what was "wrong" or "different" or "not there".  But I'm trying to let it go.  Hard to do.  I'm feeling a cross between wondering why they aren't calling me with questions, to not wanting to answer the phone at all.  Next week, during the event, I really want to turn my phone off, have my husband do the same, and not know whether or not anyone has called at all.  I know it will not be completely possible to escape, though.  But I may try...  Like finding something to do all day on Wednesday.  Coffee with a friend, shopping maybe?  Asking my mom to get the kids...  And Thursday, well, who knows...  kids are out of school, so maybe I need to take them somewhere?  So many weird feelings and emotions.  Am I wrong for feeling this way?  I always got the feeling that the person taking over for me wanted to do it her way.  She took my information, asked very few questions, and went on her way.  Someone close to the situation told me tonight that her take on it is very different.  She feels like the new PIC (person in charge) is actually intimidated by me and therefore does not want to ask me questions, feels like she's not living up to the standard, etc.  I have a hard time believing that.  Who knows.  The thing is, this event will continue.  It will keep going as it has for more than 12 years.  It will be in this town, and so will I, for many years to come.  Got to let it go and transition.  But doing that smoothly is a whole other thing...

No comments:

Post a Comment